Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Apostle Islands Ice Caves

Last Saturday, a few friends and I drove almost 4 hours to see the ice caves on Lake Superior. 
When we finally arrived at Meyers beach, we had to park almost 3 miles away. There were cars for miles and miles on one side of the highway. And tons of people walking on the other side of the highway. By the time we made it around the bend and officially at Meyers beach, the amount of people there seemed to triple. 
We walked on the beach and then legit on frozen Lake Superior for 1.1 miles until we reached the first official ice cave. I learned in this first 1.1 miles that I cannot walk on snow because I kept falling and sinking. 

The Ice caves might be the most beautiful things I've ever seen. It was sketchy walking into some of them, infact I broke 2 toes about an hour into our treck. And you can see by my fitbit, I walked really far on broken toes. It was so amazing and so pretty.